Saturday, 4 February 2012

That Critical Voice

I've been trying to write a story for... I don't know how long. I suppose the idea originated in September, and I worked on it for a while, did some research and got enthused about it. But life got in the way. I had some difficulties with it, and decided that even though the subject matter excited me, there was something about this story I was just not ready to write. Maybe it was the timing, or difficulties in my life, or something about my understanding about the topic. So, I stopped.

I picked it up again two weeks ago and started working on the same story again, but from a different angle. I've hammered a lot of hours and research into this story, and have written over 6000 words.

Now I've got That Critical Voice in the back of my head talking to me constantly as I'm trying to work on it. It says, not good enough, not good enough, not good enough, on repeat. And no matter how rational I try to be, or patient, or just sometimes plain ignoring it, the voice seems to rise up louder and louder and louder.

I've reached a point now where I need to put the story aside again, because I can't switch off The Critical Voice, and it's become difficult to determine whether the story has potential or not.

I'm not sure whether every writer experiences this from time to time, or whether this is something that only I battle with.

Hoping that tomorrow I can find a more supportive and nurturing inner voice that might encourage me to finish the story before I miss the deadline!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Yes, Annie. Aside for now. maybe leave it for a week, play with something new, just for a bit.
(I bet it's bloody brilliant though. Despite yourself ;-))

sonia said...

I get that all the time - with me it's like i'm looking for a get out clause. if i can convince myself it's no good then i won't have to bother with it. Maybe have a little break then try to carry on despite the voice maybe say
'whatever but i'm doing it anyway.' and blow a raspberry to the voice. x

annie clarkson said...

Thanks. Sigh. Can I employ you as my mentors?