Monday, 16 January 2012

Writing, Writing, Writing...

Everything is about short stories at the moment.

So, I'm currently reading Zoe Lambert's excellent first collection The War Tour. These stories explore wars and all their far-reaching impacts through a diverse set of characters and geographies. It's brilliantly well-researched, powerful, and engaging. I love her writing style, and definitely recommend it for a thought-provoking, eye-opening read.

And I just read an amazing collection of short fiction called It Was Just, Yesterday by Mirga Unge, a Swedish writer. She has a kind of brilliance in writing long, breathless prose that explores mainly but not exclusively young women's voices. Her stories have many surprises, and I loved her view of the world, she has an eye for a short story, that's for sure.

And I'm writing.

Last week I wrote two short stories, one about a nervous man with hands like birds. The other about a phone call where a man discloses his dark secret. They are both kind of sad. I'm writing another which is kind of about me, but a me that doesn't exist. It's one of those 'what if' stories. So, the emotional and physical geography is mine, but the incidents in the story never actually happened (but might have done), so what if it had gone the other way?

I'm enjoying writing, I seem to have a flock of ideas. I'm not sure why, I'm not complaining. I'm trying to find the time to write when I can, and seeing where the ideas take me.

1 comment:

sonia said...

hoorah. glad you are writing! I am rewriting.