Sunday, 16 January 2011

I Heart Writing (again)

I've promised myself to get back my love for writing by just doing it, writing what I want, being spontaneous, not having a fixed goal, sharing writing, reading, hearing people read, collaborating.

It's not rocket science.

If I focus on enjoying it, then how can I go wrong. Yes, I don't always have a lot of time or motivation or energy. Yes, sometimes I write rubbish. There might not be a publisher for me or money or external rewards. But writing is writing, personal and freeing and therapeutic and playful in itself.

So, I am writing with another poet. A prompt a week. A response from each of us. Poem or haiku or prose poem or a wandering piece of free-writing. Even if it's rubbish. By the end of the year, there will be 52 pieces of writing, and I bet some of them are good.

Some afternoons in a cafe writing with the same poet. Writing exercises. Sharing what we've written. Tea and metaphors.

My little everyday observations on new blog northern stones

My third (or fourth) collaboration with an artist, where we have again started to send inspiration through the post. A poem that she responds to with a visual response which I respond to with a poem. We might make another book with them at some point.

There is another poet, who I want to approach to see if we can do something together on a theme, explore some issues in poems, find some way of collaborating and putting it out there in some way, a website maybe, postcards, short films.

Ideas. Ideas.

It feels good to be enjoying writing again. No pressure. No expectations.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Yeeha!
Good news Annie (and wonderful stones)

Eli Regan said...

Sounds like a lot of fun...collabs... my husband frequently jams with other musicians... i need to jam more - photography/writing etc. Love it. 'Ideas. Ideas'... tis finally happening to me too. x