Monday, 27 September 2010

So, me and V were Andalucian girls for a week

I love holidays. It's official. I love the way I can go to another country for a week and forget (almost) everything back home, transport myself physically and emotionally into another place entirely, and experience everything differently. Sigh.

This is where we stayed.
















One of three idyllic apartments hidden away in the Arab quarter of Alhama de Granada. We had a gorgeous garden, a library in the living room, a lovely cluttered Spanish kitchen, and a comfy double bed each. Perfect for friends, couples, a little family, a writers or artists retreat....

And we loved the town. White-washed houses, cobbled narrow streets, old churches, beautiful little square with a few bars and (my favourite) Cafe La Creme that sold the most gorgeous cakes imaginable, and of course, the gorge with its old ruined flour mills, jade river and jagged orange cliffs.

















Oh, I swear to god, I did not want to come home. It was amazing. We ate tons of gorgeous food, read, basked in the sun, watched films, chatted, laughed, walked, swam, wandered around palaces and gardens, had picnics, skinny-dipped in the lake, danced, entertained, soaked in the Arabic spa...

My favourite moments were probably...

lying under a tree on a very quiet beach called Punta de la Mona, with a lovely gentle breeze and an undisturbed view of the beach and sea, and then the most gorgeous swim in lovely deep seawater with the waves lifting me as I swam

eating the most delicious goat with garlic on our first afternoon in Alhama in the square

meeting Paco, a local restauranteur and Flamenco singer who was a little bit drunk when he came over to our table at Meson Diego, and then near the end of our holiday eating at his restaurant La Seguiriya, beautiful food and a most excellent host, and ever patient with my terrible Spanish.

skinny dipping and dancing like a wild thing at the edge of Lake Bermajales, where we had the whole lake to ourselves for an afternoon

getting lost wandering through the Albaicin in Granada and the gorgeous gardens at the Alhambra

and lots of little moments, funny things we did and said, little Scampos the dog who we kept meeting around town, lunches in the garden, reading, asking lovely old spanish ladies for directions, the views which were stunning, feeling so so so relaxed and not worrying about anything...

2 comments:

Lynne Rees said...

Sounds gorgeous. Made me want to be there when I read it!

SallyF said...

that's not skinny dipping, where are the other photos?! ;-) It sound perfect no wonder you loved it so much, I want to go there too! x