Sunday, 15 August 2010

Poetry, Veg and a morning with Sam Rockwell...

Oh, what a lovely weekend....

It started with a light bit of digging.

Progressed to an afternoon of poetic inspiration at a workshop run by the wonderful New York poet George Wallace. Which was wonderful actually because it has been six months almost since I wrote a word (despite all my good intentions to start writing my novel again, etc). We played, experimented, imagined. It was very inspiring, and made me think YES.

Then eating (which is always good in my books).

Then an evening of poetry, words, music at Paradox, a crazy poetry night where I saw lots of lovely friends, some wonderful readers, had a few laughs, and I read my sad little love story Everything. It's been a while since I read at a poetry night, and it was nice nice nice.

I went home to cake, chat, sleep, and an early morning goodbye to my lovely overnight guests. (Bye Gelly Bean, bye George, it was lovely having you both chez moi!)

Decided the morning would be best spent with Sam Rockwell (sigh) in Moon, which is an amazing film, I refuse to listen to anyone who says otherwise. And if Sam Rockwell is reading this, then, I know I live a long way away, but I would be very happy if you wanted to ask me out. Ha.

Then a whole beautiful, sun-kissed day at the allotment, digging, picking, planting, drinking tea, basking, chatting, and meditating with Eric. It was heaven. Tony let me pick a half dozen plums from his tree and they are such juicy loveliness. I picked a whole load of blackberries, dug up potatoes, spring onions, cut some chives, picked some black beans, and my first ever home-grown sweetcorn!

A little picture of some of my haul...



And another picture of my dinner, eaten al fresco on the deck outside. The sweetcorn was the most tastydeliciousscrumptious corn I have ever tasted, oh my god, so so so good. I will never eat shop-bought again


Big satisfied sigh.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou world for a most lovely weekend. Very grateful xxxx

4 comments:

sonia said...

what a fab weekend. first time i had home grown sweetcorn it was orgasmic.

ANTHONY SIDES said...

George's workshop was great, and you read really well, my friend - everyone sat quiet and folowed the deceptively simple-seeming lines of your story. Nicely done.

Megan said...

Sounds wonderful. I love Moon (and sweetcorn)

Anadi Taylor said...

Your blog is making me hungry! I often find inspiration in the garden for writing a piece of music...I guess the hard work of digging and the satisfying violence involved in weeding are driving out my self-doubts.