Friday, 23 July 2010

the most lovely part of the week...

Yes, right now is the most lovely part of the week. This week. But also any week. It's Friday 6pm. I'm sitting outside in my back yard, bare feet, sun warming every little bit of me, Sissy just about to poke her nose in the two scoop tub of ice cream I just bought from Moonlight. Forest fruits and Honeycomb.

The bees are buzzing around the lavender and geraniums. I can hear kids playing further down the street, an aeroplane, the wind really gently rusting the leaves on next door's tree. It's the start of the weekend.

Relief. It's the end of the working week, which has been good in its way but hard work and draining. I finished work and wanted to be somewhere half way between home and work for a while. I don't just mean geographically, I mean emotionally. My head was full and I needed to empty it a little. So, I went to one of my favourite little cafes Falafel. It's a Jordanian cafe where for £3.50 I can get gorgeous falafel wrapped in flat bread with houmous, olives and arabic salad, with a big pot of fresh mint tea. The service is lovely. The music takes me to another place completely, and I can stare into the street and watch all the bustle of cars and people passing and feels as though I am hundreds of miles from wherever I just came from.

I love it that I live so close to such a crazy, wonderful place with every kind of Asian and Middle Eastern cafes and restaurants, takeaways, ice cream parlours, fruit and veg shops, barbers, hardware, clothes and jewellery shops none of it particularly English. I love it that people can smoke shisha in one of more than a dozen places, or buy their wedding clothes, or choose a box of Indian sweets. So I milled about for a bit and watched people and bought ice cream.

This week was a week of much torrential rain, lunch with a friend, 2 for 1 pizza at pizza express with a lovely bunch of girls followed by Inception. It has been a week of Qi Gong, and Charles Lambert's The Scent of Cinnamon, and bumping into someone lovely in the supermarket, and trying to be more relaxed, confident and open to whatever. Doing less of my bad habits and focusing more on the positives.

This is my favourite part of the weekend because the working week is over and I still have a whole weekend to do whatever with whoever and wherever I choose. Hurray, hurray.

5 comments:

sonia said...

what a lovely post - would love to be at the cafe.

Lauraajk said...

Sounds wonderful. I hope the rest of the weekend goes well.

Anyonita said...

this sounds so nice. :) i found you randomly a few weeks ago, i was goggling nando's in lancaster (although there aren't any) & was directed to your post about going to nando's with your family. :) i enjoyed that post & bookmarked your blog in my phone & only just got around to following you!

Anyonita said...

link: www.poemsandplates.blogspot.com

annie clarkson said...

thank you all,
and thanks for the link to your blog Anyonita, those fiery grilled peaches look gorgeous...