Sunday, 4 July 2010

#46 Dear Birthday



Dear Birthday,

You have been strange this year. I mean you are just the anniversary of a day 37 years ago, but somehow our culture has made this a really important day.

Some years I like you, especially when I spend a lot of time with family and friends. This year, has been quieter than most, and hampered by car problems that meant I stayed home on my own, and then a slight kitchen accident that almost led to a fire, which is not a wholly bad thing as I found out my smoke alarm still works.

I have to confess that this year I didn't like you much. I liked the days leading up to you, I got a lot of lovely birthday wishes sent my way from afar, and the early part of the day was lovely, but you went downhill after that and I kind of wish you had just been an ordinary day.

A friend of mine recently told me that he didn't know when his birthday was, that in his country it's not the same, so he didn't understand birthdays in the same way that many people do. This kind of helped me put it in perspective.

Birthday, I think perhaps you have been overshadowed by other things happening in my life, and maybe next year you will be better, or different, or maybe it just won't matter as much

A x

1 comment:

Megan said...

or maybe your birthday will just keep going and get better and better as the week goes on.
I hope so. And if was closer, I'd definitely be buying cake