Tuesday, 5 January 2010

The snow never sticks in Manchester...

Or, not usually anyway. Manchester is well known for rain and drizzle and we only ever get a flurry of snow that hits the ground and disappears. Or we get a day of snow and it's gone the next day.

Not so this year. We had a white christmas, and then a the-streets-are-ice-rinks boxing day onwards... This morning I woke to a white Manchester. I got my ruler out and measured 15cm of snow in my back yard, and it's still snowing... I've not known that much snow since I was a child. We just don't get winters like this anymore.

And of course, we British cope with it in our usual ways: most of the roads haven't been gritted, the councils have reportedly run out of grit, schools were closed, cars abandoned, and people took to the park and the streets to build whole snow families.

My car was a bit snowed under, so I walked to work in my new green spotty wellies and plenty of layers. I felt as though I was a child again, kicking up the snow, and feeling it press down under my wellies.

Let's hope that the snow doesn't stay for too long, as our beautiful but unprepared nation wouldn't be able to cope.

These were the pictures on my way to work this morning.







7 comments:

Megan said...

Quite franly, I am LOVING it

Bob Jacobs said...

Nice pics, Annie. I particularly like the third one. Enjoy the snow while it lasts, and write about it - it could be another 20 years before you see this again ;-)

Gerry Boyd said...

Wow. Looks like NJ, USA.

kim mcgowan said...

They are glorious photographs, Annie. I particularly like the third one too.
kim

ANTHONY SIDES said...

Love the pix, my friend. x

sonia said...

i love the second photo

annie clarkson said...

Thanks everyone, I think I like pix 2 and 3 the best too...