Friday, 8 January 2010

short stories for cold days...

The January issue of
has just gone online... There are some brilliant reviews in this issue, more than one collection has gone on my wishlist (growing ever longer)...

If this cold gives us any excuse it's to sit at home in the warm and cosy on down with a good book. So, maybe... read this review of Hassan Blasim's The Madman of Freedom Square and maybe you might want to order his book. I was lucky enough to hear Hassan read one of his stories at a short story weekend at this year's Manchester Literature Festival. It was an intense, brutal, ironic story, and his reading (and answering questions) was really moving. He read in Arabic, so it was interesting to hear his voice reading a language I don't speak while I was reading the words of his story in English.

Or you might read this review of Daniel A Hoyt's And then we saw the flames. Wonderful title, I thought, well-written review, which made me want to get a copy...

Or maybe you'll read MY review of Alice Zorn's Ruins and Relics... a collection I really enjoyed. Alice is a Canadian writer. There was a lot to wonder about in her stories... This is an excerpt from Plum Pudding, perhaps the most affecting story in the collection:
"What kind of people! Oma spat now. Didn’t Trudi know well enough to hold herself aloof? No wonder she was so godless and corrupt. That was the problem with Canada, a country that took in the filth the rest of the world didn’t want. Hitler had the right idea. A man with vision. A man you would trust."


In fact, there are many reviews every month in The Short Review, and there is always at least one book I want to buy, and I enjoy reading the reviews, well, because I love short stories, and the reviews are always well written, and tell me exactly what I need to know about the books, and then there are interviews with many of the authors too about their writing, their books, their feelings about short stories, what they are reading now etc...

This month also has reviews of The Body of This by Andrew McNabb, Dances of the Happy Shades by Alice Munro, Forgetting English by Midge Raymond, Tales of the Decongested Volume 2, Ten Little Indians by Sherman Alexie (which I think I might order right now, it sounds amazing..., Town of Fiction by The Atlantic Collective, and What Becomes by the wonderful A. L. Kennedy...

Somthing for everyone, no?

No comments: