Thursday, 20 August 2009

Waterstones update...

I'm waiting for a reply to the email I sent to Waterstones last week, after struggling to buy short fiction in their Manchester store.

I received a brief response saying that "I have passed your email directly to the relevant department to assist with store based enquiries, as we are unfortunately unable to do so here."

In the meantime, I have had messages from a few different people about their own experiences, which I want to share here...

Peter tells me that "Chester W has a short fiction section (but only a few short shelves) just before the A-Z starts."

Jen told me that Waterstones in Brighton and Cork have their own short fiction sections.

Carol went out and did some research in Newcastle and found that there is "short fiction in A-Z sections listed by author, e.g. Alice Munro, Raymond Carver, etc, and two shelves before the start of the As for mixed anthologies BUT I had to ask, i.e. it isn't labelled as opposed to the pride of place 5 shelf central section dedicated to DAN BROWN." She intends to check out Blackwells as well.

I'd be interested to know whether other branches of Waterstones or leading stores such as Borders or Blackwells have seperate short fiction sections (i.e. not just for anthologies, but for author collections as well.) How hard is it to buy short fiction where you live?

Tomorrow, I am going into Manchester on a mission for the short story. I plan to visit the leading bookshops and report back my findings.

I want to browse and buy short fiction... I'm going armed with lots of cash. let's see how hard it might be...

1 comment:

Tania Hershman said...

I'm waiting eagerly for your next blog post! I do hope you are pleasantly surprised, can't wait to hear....