Monday, 6 July 2009

reviews, interviews and readings...

My review of Mark Illis' Tender
is in The Short Review this month... a great collection of connected short fiction that I loved loved loved. As with many of Salt Publishing's short fiction titles this was a beautiful read.

Here's s snippet from my favourite story in the book...
There’d be an autopsy, George Clooney out of E.R. would cut me open and look at my heart and push his finger around in my guts and he’d take off the mask and point those big brown eyes at Mum and Dad, all sad and softly spoken but accusing. "You should never have put her through it", he’d say. "This girl died for nothing". Or, no, "This beautiful girl died for nothing." My mum would be crying, Dad would be looking at his shoes, and George Clooney would literally be holding my heart in his hands.


Have a read of my review, and the interview with Mark Illis in The Short Review.

I have a heap of news actually:

1. I'm interviewing Eleanor Catton about her ground-breaking novel The Rehearsal, the interview will be on Bookmunch in a week or two.

2. I have been asked to read at the latest Succour salon, at the Briton's Protection in Manchester on 31st July. Succour is a brilliant literary magazine if you haven't read it, beautiful print magazine with some very good writing in it, looks professional and always focuses on an interesting theme...

3. Another reading, sometime over the weekend of 18th-19th July in St Ann's Square in Manchester, there will be an independent book fair for three days with live readings throughout the afternoons from various poets and other literati. Sounds like an amazing event for those who like books, poetry etc. I'll post more details as I get them...

4. Plus (a little advance information that I'm slipping out here)... I'll be reading at Bolton Octagon on October 12th, part of the University of Bolton's poetry and prose reading series. I'm very very excited about this one. Again, more information about this when I know more details.

I have so much more I want to say about life, dating, cats, changing jobs, my birthday celebrations, holiday plans, and on and on. Head on over to my myspace blog www.myspace.com/annieclarkson and add me as a friend if you want the more personal stuff...

1 comment:

Tania Hershman said...

Lovely review, Annie, thank you, easy to see that you loved the book. And I wish I could come to the readings - will be closer from Sept so maybe I will pop up to Bolton!