Wednesday, 6 May 2009

Reviews: The Immortals by Amit Chaudhuri, and two poetry chapbooks

I have a number of new reviews online:

first, my review of Amit Chaudhuri's laterst novel The Immortals is on review site, Bookmunch.

It is difficult to capture a sense of The Immortals in one sentence, or even a paragraph. It is a novel about people, in particular three people living in Bombay over a period of around twenty years. It has no story as such. It meanders, perhaps, or sprawls through a fairly bourgeois world with brief glimpses of another kind of India.


Read more....

I also have two very short reviews of poetry chapbooks on the Happenstance website. Their magazine Sphinx reviews only chapbooks, which really appealed to me, so I asked them whether I could write reviews for them. Chapbooks get very little or no press and reviews so I love that Happenstance and Sphinx are promoting and supporting starting out writers and small press publications.

Please support them by reading my reviews and spreading the word a little.

My reviews are of Strands by Patrick Williamson, Palores Publications

and The half-mile-high club by Julie Deakin, Smith/Doorstep Books. I loved this book, the poetry is just wonderful, and only £4 for the chapbook...

2 comments:

Megan said...

Good job Annie, more fab reviews ...

Michelle said...

Wonderful reviews, Annie!