Friday, 13 March 2009

oo poems and shorts...

It's been a busy week with not much time for writing or reading. I have had a few snatched minutes here and there for online poems or short shorts.

I liked this funny little short on six sentences by Melanie Browne. It made me laugh.

There are so many journals, writers, blogs with shorts written to a specific remit. Six sentences, 30 words, 50 words. There is something very appealing about reading a piece of short fiction that has been written within some kind of constraint. It forces a certain discipline on the writer that can stretch the imagination, reach for something extraordinary yet keep to a trim word or sentence limit. Writing a perfect little story with contraints takes more creative skill to be successful

Those I have been enjoying are:

Clare Grant's Once Around the Park - She no longer seems to be writing this blog, but I have only just discovered it. These are 30 word prose poems inspired by her walks in the park.

Sarah Salway's 50 word stories which I'm so enjoying.

Drew Gummerson's fifty words. I notice he has a monthly fifty word competition... and might try writing a few of my own 50 word shorts. The theme this month is 'Recession'. He says on his facebook group 50 words that, James Joyce famously once said, 'If I could have done Ulysses in 50 words I would have done. That is my biggest regret.' Oh how this made me laugh.

The other brief read I have sneaked into my week has been Ouroboros Review. I wanted to browse it specifically to read the interview with poet Michelle McGrane. I have read many of Michelle's interviews with writers, and wanted to see how she shaped up as interviewee. She gives some honest, rich and interesting answers to questions in the interview. Quite inspiring.

In response to a question about writing poetry to capture moments of posterity, she says:"My father died on the second day of this year; I wrote the three short poems, 'Father', 'Grief', 'Grace', which comprise 'January Triptych' in the two weeks following his death." - These poems are printed in the magazine after the interview. I remember reading them when they were first posted on her blog. Such beautiful poems, capturing difficult feelings.

I was pleased to discover Ouroboros Review. It's a beautiful online journal containing some wonderful poems. I especially loved the almost breathless poem Spinning by Kelly Cokerham, Rebecca Gethin’s two beautiful poems, Frontier and Chestnut Trees , and the two poems by New Zealand poet, Iain Britton.

In fact I liked Iain Britton's poems so much, I had a browse around the internet and more of his poems in Jacket Magazine and Snorkel.

This happens to me sometimes, I find poems that resonate with me so much that within minutes I have dropped a book into my amazon shopping basket. In this case Iain Britton's Hauled Headfirst into a Leviathan (Cinnamon Press) which I can't wait to get my hands on.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Annie, you're just like me with books. I read a couple of poems on the internet, fall in love with them and before I know it the grocery money for the week's been spent on slim but absolutely crucial poetry collections. Who needs food anyway.

You know I find it so much more difficult being an interviewee than being an interviewer. I think it has to do with opening oneself up (which I often do in my poetry, but I somehow feel safer, more protected crafting a poem, approaching it in a disciplined way than discussing my life and feelings in an interview.) Thank you for reading x

Jo said...

Yes, thanks for the glowing write-up, Annie. I've read your work at Michelle's and enjoyed it very much. Jo (one of the editors!)

ourovoros review blog said...

Annie, thanks for the shout out. I too have read your lovely poems at peony moon. It's nice to see your bright blog and find our new magazine on its pages.

Christine, the other editor :-)