Monday, 2 March 2009

flannery o connor

Gosh o my gosh. I have just read this amazing article in the New York Times Sunday Book Review. It is a review of a new biography of short story writer and novelist Flannery O Connor.

The review begins:

'Flannery. She liked to drink Coca-Cola mixed with coffee. She gave her mother, Regina, a mule for Mother’s Day. She went to bed at 9 and said she was always glad to get there. After ­Kennedy’s ­assassination she said: “I am sad about the president. But I like the new one.” As a child she sewed outfits for her chickens and wanted to be a ­cartoonist.'

It is such a good read. It is one of the best written reviews I've ever read, the biography sounds fascinating, and Flannery's life... she sounds like such a crazy, eccentric character.

I've never read any of her writing (shame on me) so her Collected Stories is now top of my list.

2 comments:

Sarah Hymas said...

shame on you indeed - start with 'A Good Man is Hard to Find'.

Michelle said...

I hang my head in shame. I haven't read any of her writing either. I'm off to read the review now.