Wednesday, 4 March 2009

and the winner is...

Thank you to the wonderful writers who responded to my writing prompt

I loved all four responses, but decided to give the prize to Charles Carver. I liked the twist in the piece. I also liked the self-conscious narrative, the different strands in the story, and thought it was a brilliant response/interpretation of the photograph.



Broken Pictures

Kids don't want them these days, too old fashioned, too permanent, unlike me. Knocking on the door in the cold, waiting for it to open, I don't even get Saturday's anymore. I'm listening to Hank Williams - My Son Calls Another Man Daddy. You get the picture. Standing outside the park, looking at other people's children, I didn't realize. Someone shouted, I dropped the present. Jesus, I need to get the hell out of here. I need to write something.

The Beast Outside the Park

At the rails, by the road, he sweats and shivers inside his jacket. He's dropped something by his feet. He's shaking. He must go away, but he feels it, always feels it, can't help himself. He turns and runs away, trying to break the pictures in his head.

Charles Carver

5 comments:

annie clarkson said...

Charles, email me so I can arrange to send your prize...

Michelle said...

I love "trying to break the pictures in his head".

Well done, Charles.

Megan said...

Thats great. Well done Charles Carver!

deemikay said...

:)

Charles Carver said...

Will do, cheers. Re the O'Connor - 'Parker's Back' is a good one