Thursday, 15 January 2009

A review: Barnacle Love

I have recently started writing book reviews for The Short Review...

My first review is online now, a review of a book I adored called Barnacle Love by Anthony De Sa

Here's a little excerpt fom my review:

Life in these stories is gritty and hard. It is woven with myths,superstitions and feelings around God, family and survival.There are so many moments in these stories I loved, written with such sensitivity and poetic detail. When Manuel’s mother’s body is laid out ready for burial her daughter: "…smeared the woman’s mouth with bright red lipstick, went beyond her lips and up toward her cheeks like a child who chose not to colour inside the lines." The Rebelo family experience pain, resentment, memory and love with such truth and poignancy that most readers will recognize their own family experience within theirs.

Please click on the title and read more.

I love the Short Review it is such a wonderful resource of reviews and interviews and information on the short story.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Sounds wonderful - thank you Annie!

Michelle said...

Annie, I enjoyed both your review and interview with Anthony De Sa - and I've loved all your book recommendations that I've had time to follow up on ...